In Colorado, each law enforcement agency has a different procedure for those wishing to file a complaint. Please note that it is very difficult for law enforcement to conduct a quality investigation when complaints are not filed in a timely manner. It is strongly encouraged that complainants with allegations of minor misconduct file their complaints within SIXTY (60) DAYS and those alleging serious conduct to file within 6 months. While exceptions can be considered, complaints filed in an untimely manner are likely to be declined for further review.
To file a complaint:
- Locate the applicable law enforcement agency.
- Click the following links for a list of police and sheriff’s departments.
- Call and ask the agency about their procedure for filing a complaint, or Google the law enforcement agency and “internal affairs” to find information on how to file a complaint.
- If you need help with this process, you can contact Survivors Organizing for Liberation.
- For legal help, you can contact: