Name Change for Transgender Coloradans

For detailed information and instructions on how to change your name in Colorado, visit The Name Change Project.

To obtain a legal name change in Colorado, the applicant must submit a petition to the court for a name change court order. The applicant must publish notice of the name change in a newspaper at least three times in 21 days, except with good cause. A name change will not be granted for convicted adult felons or delinquents with the equivalent of an adult felony unless there is good cause. The applicant must be fingerprinted, update their criminal history with the new name, and notify District Attorney offices where convicted.

For legal resources on changing your name or gender in Colorado, visit Trans Law Help or the Transgender Law Center.

Update Name on Social Security Documents:

(Information from The Name Change Project)

WHAT YOU NEED: Name change court order, your old Social Security card, and current form of I.D.

The following steps are required to amend your name with Social Security:

  1. Complete an Application for a Social Security Card, Form SS-5 (when completing Form SS-5, list your new court-ordered name).
  2. Pay the small fee the Social Security Administration (SSA) generally requires to issue a new Social Security card.
  3. Show proof of your:
    1. U.S. citizenship or immigration status (e.g., a birth certificate or passport. This document does not need to be in your current name/gender, as long as you can document the change).
    2. Legal name change (e.g., a certified copy of your court order; the SSA may also accept proof of name change through marriage, adoption, divorce, or Certificate of Naturalization).
      1. For name changes completed in Colorado, you can get a certified copy through the Colorado Judicial Branch.
    3. Identity (e.g., a driver’s license or other photo ID. This document does not need to be in your current name/gender as long as you can document the change).
  4. Take your completed application and documents to your local SSA office or mail them to the SSA.
  5. Provide additional documentation to verify identity, if necessary.
    1. If the SSA cannot match your old name with your current identity, it may require you to show additional identification. If you experience difficulty because of this policy, please contact Transgender Law Center. Consult the SSA website if you would like further information.

We recommend going to the local SSA office (find the closest one to you), rather than mailing off the forms.

If possible, update your gender marker at the same time. For information on updated your gender, visit the Update Gender page .

Update Name on Colorado ID:

(Information from The Name Change Project)

WHAT YOU NEED: Name change order

To change your name on a Colorado Driver’s License, bring your court ordered name change documentation to your local DMV office and they will change your name and retake your photo and a new license will be issued.

To change your gender marker on your driver’s license in Colorado, use form DR-2083 to update your DMV records.

If you are also updating your address, you’ll need a second form of identification with your address on it (utility bill, insurance card, etc)

Updating Your Legal Name Only (no gender marker update) on an Existing Valid Passport:

(Information from The Name Change Project)

When you already have a valid Passport, you may submit a Passport Renewal Application to change your legal name on the passport by mail. You will need to complete and submit:

See for a detailed discussion of this topic.

Updating Your Legal Name and Gender Marker on an Existing Valid Passport or Getting a Passport for the First Time:

(Information from The Name Change Project)

If you are applying to change your gender marker, submitting a passport application for the first time, or applying for a passport when your old passport has expired, you must apply in person so that your signature is witnessed.

You will need to complete and submit:

  • Application for U.S. Passport (Form DS-11, also available in this packet);
  • Proof of U.S. Citizenship (such as a previous U.S. Passport, certified Birth Certificate, Certificate of Naturalization, or Report of Birth Abroad);
  • Proof of Identity that contains your signature and photograph that is “a good likeness to you” (such as a previous U.S. Passport, a Driver’s License, a Certificate of Naturalization, Military Identification, or a Government Employee Identification Card);
  • Two recent color photographs, 2×2 inches in size (these can be obtained at Walgreens, CVS, etc);
  • If you are changing your name on your passport, an Order for Name Change (certified copy showing a seal and officiate/judge signature);
  • A letter from your physician confirming your gender transition (the requirements for this letter are listed below); and
  • Fee (See the Department of State fee schedule for costs: 

Take these documents and fees in person to any Passport Acceptance Facility. To find the acceptance facility closest to you, visit the State Department’s website, Passport Acceptance Facility Search Page, at or call the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778.

The State Department has provided the following model letter for physician certifications. All certifications must be on the physician’s office letterhead and include all of the information seen here, including the physician’s license or certificate number. You should ask your physician to use this letter and not give additional personal health information that is not included here.


I, Physician’s Full Name, Physician’s medical license or certificate number, Issuing U.S. State/Foreign Country of medical license/certificate, am the physician of Full Name of Patient, with whom I have a doctor/patient relationship and whom I have treated (or with whom I have a doctor/patient relationship and whose medical history I have reviewed and evaluated).

Name of Patient has had appropriate clinical treatment for gender transition to the new gender of (specify new gender male or female).

I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States that the foregoing is true and correct.

Signature of Physician
Typed Name

You can download a sample physician letter here.

Updating name on Colorado birth certificate:

(Information from The Name Change Project)

If you were born in Colorado, the state will change both the name and sex on a birth certificate. The state will also issue a new birth certificate, however it will be marked as amended. A certified copy of a legal name change order is required to change your name.

For more information on updating gender on a Colorado birth certificate, click here.

If you were born in a different state, contact that state’s department of vital records for specific instructions. TransEquality has a good website detailing each state’s requirements.

For updating your name on other documents, The Name Change Project has an exhaustive list here.

For information on updating all federal and state documents in Colorado, visit the National Center for Transgender Equality’s Colorado Document Center.