Update Gender for Transgender Coloradans

For general information about the 2016 election and what it means for updating federal identification documents, click here.

Note: This section applies to those looking to update their gender on identity documents. For those looking to update their name only, or name and gender simultaneously, click here to get additional information about the name change process.

Updating gender on a Colorado Driver’s License or ID:

In order to update gender on a Colorado ID or Driver’s License, the applicant must fill out form 3DR 2083 titled “Medical Information Authorization (Change of Sex Identification)”, have a licensed physician fill out the appropriate part of it, and return the form to a local DMV office with your current driver’s license or identification card and renewal fee.

Updating gender on a Colorado birth certificate:

Colorado will amend the gender marker on a birth certificate upon receipt of a court order of a court of competent jurisdiction indicating that the “sex… has been changed by surgical procedure.” The birth certificate will be marked as amended overall, but will not indicate that the gender was amended.

To request a gender change to your birth certificate, please submit the following to the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment in person or by mail:  

  1. Completed Birth Certificate Correction Form | en español.
  2. Copy of your identification.
  3. Non-refundable processing fee(s).
  4. Certified copy of a court order indicating the gender change.
    1. For gender changes completed in Colorado, you can submit forms JDF 76 and 77 specifying gender change by surgical procedure.
  5. If your name was changed, a certified copy of a legal name change order (for more information on name change, click here).

For information from the state on updating your Colorado birth certificate, visit this link.

Updating Gender on Social Security records:

To change your gender on your Social Security records, the Social Security Administration requires you to fill out the Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5) and present one of the following:

  • A medical certification of “appropriate clinical treatment for gender transition” in the form of an original signed statement from a licensed physician, e.g., an M.D. or D.O. (a model physician’s statement is provided here)
  • A full-validity, 10-year passport with the new gender marker;
  • A state-issued birth certificate with the new gender maker; or
  • A court order directing legal recognition of the new gender.

As in most other situations, if you are under 18 and are not emancipated, you will need the permission of your parents or guardians in order to update your SSA account.

For people who receive SSI/SSDI: Changing your name and/or gender marker in your SSA account will not change your information on your SSI/SSDI (Social Security Insurance/Disability Insurance) account. If you have an SSI/SSDI account, you should tell the SSA to change your name and/or gender on this account as well.

If you have the misfortune to encounter an SSA employee who does not understand the SSA’s policies or who has some bias against transgender people, do your best to keep calm. We would recommend asking for a supervisor, and if that does not help, you should not hesitate to try another office if there is one nearby.

Updating Gender on a US Passport:

If you are applying to change your gender marker, submitting a passport application for the first time, or applying for a passport when your old passport has expired, you must apply in person.

You will need to complete and submit:

  1. Application for U.S. Passport (Form DS-11);
  2. Proof of U.S. Citizenship (such as a previous U.S. Passport, certified Birth Certificate, Certificate of Naturalization, or Report of Birth Abroad);
  3. Proof of Identity that contains your signature and photograph that is “a good likeness to you” (such as a previous U.S. Passport, a Driver’s License, a Certificate of Naturalization, Military Identification, or a Government Employee Identification Card). You must present the original AND provide a photocopy of the front and back side with your application;
  4. A recent color photograph 2×2 inches in size;
  5. If you are changing your name on your passport, an Order for Name Change (certified copy showing a seal and officiate/judge signature);
  6. A letter from your Physician confirming your gender transition (a model physician’s statement is provided here); and
  7. Fee (See the Department of State fee schedule for costs here).

Take these documents and fees in person to any Passport Acceptance Facility. To find the acceptance facility closest to you, visit the State Department’s website, Passport Acceptance Facility Search Page, or call the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778.

For more detailed information about updating federal identity documents, check out the Transgender Law Center’s ID Please: Quick Guide to Changing Federal Identity Documents.

For information on updating all federal and state documents in Colorado, visit the National Center for Transgender Equality’s Colorado Document Center.